Tuesday, April 12, 2011

My take on the martial arts

"The martial arts are ultimately self-knowledge. A punch or a kick is not to knock the hell out of the guy in front, but to knock the hell out of your ego, your fear, or your hang-ups." - Bruce Lee

For many years the martial arts have been a gigantic shield to me; for I knew the pressures of what the world truly has to offer. When I hit the title of young man via age, I felt angry inside, watching professional wrestling on TV and being an all around bad guy to people.

I feel that there is much more gratification to express the body using these controlled and limited movements you normally wouldn't do rather than just doing one motion like in some sports. Be it any kind of martial art.

There are many reasons why I chose to get re-booted on the styles that I chose. For one, I have A LOT of demons to battle, and they have totally brought me back down to earth to give good focus towards life, and has even restored my faith in my fellow man. Second, I have trained myself in boxing, I spent over a year training myself how to throw the perfect "1-2", I got challenged to a fight in fifth grade (word got out and the teachers stepped in) and I trained myself constantly, and after a while, it became my daily routine. My mom even wanted me to join a gym, but the nearest was like 10 miles away.

Whatever style you choose, I suggest looking into it long before trying it out. For I have seen many a-person give up on a style because they don't like it. Whatever reason yours' is (fighting, balance, better movement) be sure that you have faith in yourself, because if you don't, it's hard to press on.

I chose to do Muay Thai because of it's legit nature. It's straight-up boxing with lots and lots of modifications and cool shizz. Mainly there is a deep background it and a hardcore discipline to it. All the kicking, punching, elbows, and knees are brutal but there is almost something spiritual there. Now I'm not talking spiritual like something ludicrous you'd see on TV like a super mega boom punch with like colorful lines floating around and stuff. I mean like the beginning prayer before you commence action. When I do that, I feel the energy flow through me like I just drank a Red Bull. And when I punch or kick, no matter what I connect with (even air), I feel as if I'd let go 1/136th of a bit of stress, and we all know we have some of that within us XD.

2 comments: