Wednesday, November 28, 2012

麻雀

The kanji reads: mah jan, MAHJONG

For starters: I'd like to point out that the mahjong you play on your computer where you match up the tiles is not the true mahjong. It is a good time killer, but I hardly see much of challenge to matching a pair.


 DA-ME! (No good)

On the flight over here from Seattle, I became bored, so I played some of the games on the in flight entertainment center (technology huh?). I wasn't too keen on playing stupid card games or dumb space shooters, so I clicked on the foreign games section. I was expecting to play the solitaire mahjong when I clicked "MahJong". After getting my ass handed to me several times, I thought to myself, "why am I so keen on the solitaire one?" I had been at the time. I became intrigued with the game all in all, and wanted to continue on. I decided to begin a little side project which was to be awesome at it.


Even though the game is of Chinese origin, it has made a huge impact here in Japan. You can find:


Mahjong arcade games practically everywhere,

Pachinko (next topic) machines based around it,
MahJong parlors everywhere (I haven't played live by the way)

And it's even a topic in anime and manga.





I find it fascinating how a foreign topic got the limelight in that sense.

I'm sure you want to know how to play it now don't you?
SCREW THAT!
I'm not typing that out, it would be a 10 page essay.

So I'll let her describe.
See how easy it is?
LOL
JK


These dudes explain it way better anyway:

I have over 5 Mahjong apps on my phone, and I usually turn the volume off and play in class when I'm bored. It is my mission to become the king of mahjong, it's highly unlikely that it'll happen soon but I'm keeping my eyes on the prize.


No comments:

Post a Comment