Friday, May 27, 2011

Mexipan Food

Whenever I have a day that just flat out sucks, I look to find cuisine of Mexico. I have felt the stress pile on since I came here, so I found it to be necessary to seek Mexican food out here in Japan. In a sense...
¡Yo Quiero Tacos Por Favor!



I read about a mini chain of Japanese taquerias called ソル アミゴ (Sol Amigo) [Sun Friend]. I decided to check out the one in Shinjuku.
It isn't exactly easy finding a restaurant in Japan. There's buildings with businesses going on on each floor. After about 45 minutes of wandering around, I came across it.
Royal pain in the ass to find this place, but little did I know that it was worth it, especially with the food.
The waiting room was very cramped and narrow. But if you can't get used to the cramped and narrowness, Japan's not for you lol. When I waited, I noticed a lot of Mexican things with katakana and kanji. I saw barely any Español. I was greeted with "irashaimase!" and it threw my brain for a twist, because I wasn't greeted with "bienvenido". I think that was my first case of culture shock because I forgot a lot of the Japanese that I learned. Next I took a peek at the menu.

Video of menu - CLICK PLEASE

In case you missed it, there was some Engrish on the menu.

LOL

I wanted horchata, but they were scarce so I ordered a Corona because there's always time for cerveza (It's funny how Corona costs more than Sapporo at this place by the way). These guys already win, they put a lime in my Corona.

(I ate a few chips before I took this pic) The chips were a little stale, but they had excellent flavor... they were hardly even salty. The salsa wasn't that spicy, and was a bit like tomato soup. I didn't taste any jalapenos. BOO!

 
I ordered a Burrito:
Not what I expected, but it looked tasty.
Anticipating every single moment, I felt it necessary to record me tasting it, rather than just writing it down.

I say, "It's picadillo!", which is shredded beef

All in all, I enjoyed it! I recommend it, it was definitely worth the long search as well as the bill:

¡Gracias Gozaimasu!

PS Sorry I haven't been updating as much, I'm in 3 classes that require shiteloads of reading and writing. I'll do my best though!

Next Blog: Saitama & DREAM

3 comments:

  1. is that a burrito? lol looks pretty lame..but i guess it cant be helped, japan doesn't get to have everything. >:P

    tell us more about your classes, i'd like to know what your learning in japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never said it was a burrito did I? XD it was an interesting experience altogether.

    I'll tell y'all about what I'm studying soon.
    In one of my classes we get to watch everybody's favorite tearjerker later... Grave of the Fireflies

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did say it was a burrito, right before the picture you wrote "I ordered a Burrito:" lol

    ReplyDelete